CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Tracy's Job Search Continues

I got a call from a principal from one of the schools that I interviewed at in Frisco for a 2nd grade position. I was politely informed that they went with another candidate. She was very positive with me though. When I asked her if she had any advice for me regarding my interview skills, references, or my resume, she said she didn't have any and that I did a great job. She said I was confident, knowledgeable, and a great interviewee. So at least that's one positive thing to come from this.

But then she was brutally honest. She let me know that they were re-vamping their whole 2nd grade team and were looking for someone with a lot of experience teaching specifically second grade. She said that they went with someone who has taught in that grade for over 10 years....

Well, I can't compete with that. But it does make me wonder why they even call me in to interview. My resume clearly states which grades I've taught as a lead teacher(1st and 3rd). Nowhere on my resume does it say that I have experience in 2nd grade, because I don't...unless you count things like observation in classrooms back in college, volunteering, etc. At least it gave me good interviewing experience.

She did ask if I minded that she forward my information and notes onto other Frisco ISD principals since she liked me, and I told her of course, please do. She did let me know that Frisco is tight this year due to the economy. Not nearly as many teachers are willing to give up their jobs seeing as how things are so unstable nowadays. She also said don't get discouraged and that she's hired teachers on literally the last day of summer and also into the school year.

So I'm going to just keep trucking along. I do wish that she had even a LITTLE advice for me so I could try to work on something for future interviews. But I can't help that I've only taught for 2 years as opposed to 20 years.

In the meantime, I'm really enjoying substituting and being in the classroom. The computer program that Blake wrote for me to automatically search for substituting jobs got me 5 different jobs in one day today! So we are definitely keeping busy. I'm working every day, which I love. I also love being in all the different grades different days. It's fun going from 1st grade one day to 6th grade the next.

I'll be teaching a Kindergarten class tomorrow so keep your fingers crossed for me, kids that age wear me out!!!

-T-

0 comments: